Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The trees turn yellow in the fall here, too.

I've fallen into a sort of routine here in London. Not that I'm bored of it yet, but I've been here long enough so it feels like going to class, getting homework done, volunteering at the SHINE school, biking to a new market for lunch each Sunday afternoon, and walking down to the Thames on a clear night are things I've done for years.

Chapel at King's College in Cambridge

I've been staying around London recently, largely because throughout the first half of October I have class on Fridays. I don't have the luxury of four-day weekends to travel into Europe right now, but I'm taking advantage of this by taking day trips. Saturday was spent on the school-organized Cambridge trip. Cambridge is a college town that feels very small. With one of the world's most famous universities with some of the world's greatest thinkers as alumni, Cambridge would be a fun and beautiful place to go to school. After I finished the guided tour of the town, some friends and I shopped around in the stores that lined the street and got some lunch.

Punting on the river in Cambridge. The boats move by a pole that's pushed off the bottom of the shallow river by the guy standing up, a process called punting.

Cambridge University is famous for, among others, Watson and Crick, Stephen Hawking, Isaac Newton, and Francis Bacon

Street in Cambridge with shops and hardly any cars.

I've still been getting around London, too. We've had great weather so I've been taking walks around the neighborhood, and today for one of my architecture classes I went over to the old docks in East London. The warehouses are not used for industry any more, but they make a unique neighborhood of apartments built on a quiet canal. I also saw the Shard, a giant skyscraper that will be the tallest building in London when it's finished.

London on a clear afternoon

January is still far away, but I'm in the process of picking classes for next semester. Seeing every class I've already taken laid out on the planner made me realize how I'm not that far away from the end of college. I'd probably feel better about all this if I hadn't read this depressing article about unemployment amongst people in their 20s yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Great writing and pictures. It's like reading a mini edition of National Geographic.

    ReplyDelete